According to the Jupiter Research
Marketing: Use of RSS as an Alternate Messaging Medium” 30% of marketers
surveyed said that they have implemented RSS feeds because
of customer demand.
"Marketers must begin to plan their RSS strategies now," says the report's lead author, Jupiter analyst David Daniels.
Internet Marketing is moving away from traditional search engine tactics - search engine optimization and page rankings are no longer so dependent on meta tags and on page elements. Today your Internet Marketing Strategy must include creative elements like content syndication using an RSS strategy.
The world is fast moving from a push-based
information delivery (where you send information via emails) to a pull-based
information delivery (where the subscriber accesses your information,
as and when he wants).
RSS - Really Simple Syndication – is the technology that makes this possible - now you have an additional method of distribution for your online content. RSS feeds allow you to share your headlines and other web content with others. Think of it as a distributable "What's New" for your site. RSS leverages the Web's most valuable asset: content. It makes displaying high-quality, relevant news on your site, and syndicating this news and content, easy
What Is an RSS Strategy?
We look at the types of content you could be delivering to your audiences and stakeholders and establish top level messaging that will be used in all areas of your SEO and online marketing.
Where Are You Now?
- Are you maximizing reach of your current content and onliune PR initiatives?
- Are you distributing your ontent via RSS channels?
- Do you own your natural search real-estate with all related content pointing back to brand.com?
- Are you leveraging your content to maximize your overall SEO strategy?
What Do You Want To Achieve?
- Setting realistic goals for the RSS feed strategy
- Setting up metrics to track these results
- What audiences/verticals should you be communicating with?
- How to maximize the people you currently communicate with and educate them on RSS.
- Identify resources and topics for RSS article content.
Setting up the feeds
- Identify what method of implementation will best integrate with your current web system.
- Do you need content management with your feeds?
- SEO elements included in the feed templates
- Training in house resources to write for RSS and SEO
Promoting your feeds
- Automatic notification to RSS search engines and news aggregation sites of updates to the feeds.
- LInking strategies to and from the feed content.
- Submit the feeds to RSS search engines and news aggregator directories.
- Monthly reporting on search engine visibility and feed usage.
- Ongoing support and technical assistance.
“The simple moral here is that even if you don't want to go 'full RSS' just yet, you need to set up your RSS feeds,” advises RSS marketing guru Rok Hrastnik of www.marketingstudies.net.
“Results will follow. People are in fact in need of the content consumption solution offered by RSS ... you just need to present it appropriately.”